FINAL ESSAY ASSIGNMENT
DISCUSSED WITH CLASS NOVEMBER 16, 2020 (WITH POSTING VIA NYU CLASSES ANNOUNCEMENT THE NEXT DAY – NOVEMBER 17, 2020)
IT IS DUE ON WEDNESDAY DEC 16 (OR ANY TIME EARLIER) AT 8PM TO MY EMAIL –
THERE ARE 3 PARTS TO THE FINAL ESSAY… EACH WITH A MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PAGES (DO NOT EXCEED THE NUMBER OF PAGES).
PART ONE – QUESTION 1: (20 POINTS) Answer this question:
“WHAT DID THIS CLASS TEACH YOU THAT ADDED TO, OR CHANGED YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE ROLE OF HUMAN RESOURCES IN ANY ORGANIZATION?”
- MENTION AT LEAST 3 VERY SPECIFIC THINGS.
PART TWO – QUESTION 2 – (20 POINTS) Answer this question: “WHAT WILL I DO WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I GAINED IN THIS CLASS AS I MOVE FORWARD IN MY LIFE AND CAREER DESIRES? – (EVEN IF YOU DO NOT WORK AS A PERSON WITHIN THE HUMAN RESOURSES FUNCTION). (20 POINTS)
NOTE: MAXIMUM OF TWO PAGES TO INCLUDE BOTH PART ONE AND TWO
PART THREE – MINI –CASE – ACTION PLAN: (60 POINTS)
You are the VP of HR for a Company… during THE COVID PANDEMIC.
- Make up any type and size of company in any industry, YOU CAN EVEN GIVE IT A NAME…
- REMEMBER TO DESCRIBE THE COMPANY – number of employees, locations etc….
YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO PREPARE AN “ACTION PLAN” that covers the activities of HR/Payroll/Benefits staff for the next 6 months (maximum):
Which addresses TWO CHALLENGES, ONE BEING HOW THE COMPANY DEALS WITH THE COVID PANDEMIC, and the OTHER IS UP TO YOU TO DEFINE.
BUT YOU MUST WRITE ABOUT TWO! NOT JUST ONE
THE COVID CHALLENGE MUST BE SPECIFIC TO HOW YOU AS THE VP OF HR, WILL HELP YOUR WORKFORCE MANAGE AND WORK REMOTELY. AND IF APPROPRIATE, HOW YOU (AND YOUR TEAM) WILL UTILIZE HR TECHNOLOGY AND ANY RELATED SYSTEMS TO HELP YOU MANAGE THE WORKFORCE AND PREPARE FOR THEM TO RETURN TO THE “NEW NORMAL”.
THE SECOND CHALLENGE MUST BE A HR AND WORKFORCE ISSUE THAT COULD OR COULD NOT BE SPECIFIC TO THE COVID SITUATION:
FOR THIS CHALLENGE DESCRIBE HOW AS THE VP OF HR you can help your company OVERCOME OR MINIMIZE EITHER A ONGOING (AND PRE-COVID ISSUE/PROBLEM, OR A PROBLEM BROUGHT BY THE PANDEMIC:
Be specific in describing THE PROBLEM… OR CHALLENGE
FOR EXAMPLE……. HIGH TURNOVER IS A PROBLEM, OR HIGH ABSENCE RATE, OR PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COMPANY IN SOCIAL MEDIA…OR, A HIGHLY PUBLICIZED INCIDENT CONCERNING YOUR COMPANY’S PRODUCT, OR SERVICES OR EMPLOYEES…. ARE ALL PROBLEMS OR CHALLENGES… ALSO… LOSING BUSINESS TO COMPETITORS…
COVID ISSUES: WORKING FROM HOME, WELL BEING OF EMPLOYEES, DEALING WITH DEPRESSION, LACK OF ENGAGEMENT, RETURNING TO THE OFFICE ISSUES, ETC.
(NOTE: IF YOU CHOOSE TO DESCRIBE A COVID ISSUE, IT MOST NOT BE THE SAME AS THE ISSUE ADDRESSED IN YOUR FIRST COVID ISSUE).
- Describe what you would do and why.
- Be specific .. in describing HOW WHAT YOU PLAN TO DO, WILL HELP… what would it accomplish? What are the expected outcomes etc.
- Be specific – would you need staff to help you? Would you create a team? How long you think it would take?
- Would you need money?…. you decide if you do need money to accomplish any of your solutions… TELL ME THE AMOUNT and why you need the funds, how would you justify the funds to senior management?
- would you change existing procedures?
- would you suggest that your company consider evaluating and selecting a new HRMS system?
- Would you change or create a new Performance Evaluation procedure?
- Would you do a cost justification?
- Remember to document your assumptions – if you do not state them in your essay.
- When you are referencing any source materials besides the textbook, please make sure to use footnote or cite at the end of your document.
- For any COST JUSTIFICATION, OR ANY MENTION OF POTENTIAL EXPENDITURES – IF YOU ARE PROPOSING A NEW OR REPLACEMENT HRIS/HRMS/HCMS – use the following values:
- After “go live” the fees for running a software product with integrated HR/Payroll/Benefits and other modules.. use $20 dollars per employee per month (PEPM).
- And remember there is a ONE TIME implementation fee… from the point of contract signing and until “go – live” to set up the new system, vendors might charge…. Based on number of employees:
- Less than 500 active employees – $50,000
- between 1000 – 5000 active employees – $100,000
- greater than 5000 employees – use $200,000
THERE MUST BE AT LEAST 3 SOURCE CITATIONS IN YOUR DISCUSSION (you CAN use my presentations and guest speaker presentations (IF WE HAD ANY) if needed –You CANNOT use the Textbooks as a source citation). You CAN use the reading assignments articles.
- PART THREE, YOUR MINI CASE ESSAY MUST BE BETWEEN 2 – 4 PAGES… NO LONGER PLEASE,
- SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ESSAY AS ONE DOCUMENT, WITH THE ANSWERS TO ALL 3 PARTS (DO NOT SEND ME SEPARATE DOCUMENTS)
- Remember to have your name and the student number in the file name. It must be a Word document, OR a pdf.
WHAT I WILL BE LOOKING FOR TO DETERMINE YOUR GRADE:::
YOUR GRADE WILL BE BASED ON YOUR WRITING AND HOW YOUR DESCRIBE THE PROBLEM, YOUR STEPS IN TRYING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM, THE ANTICIPATED RESULTS, IF AND HOW YOU USE HR TECHNOLOGY TO HELP YOU ADDRESS THE PROBLEM, ANY COSTS YOU IDENTIFY AND WHAT IS ACCOMPLISHED DURING WHAT TIMEFRAME. ALL THIS FOR THE COMPANY YOU MAKE UP AND DESCRIBE.
THIS IS NEEDED FOR BOTH YOUR PROBLEMS OR CHALLENGES.
BOTH THE COVID CHALLENGE AND THE SECOND CHALLENGE THAT MAY HAVE BEEN PRESENT EVEN BEFORE COVID HIT THE WORLD WHICH YOU DECIDE UPON.
GENERALLY, I WANT TO SEE SOME THOUGHT, AND THAT WHAT YOU SHOWS YOU UNDERSTAND THE ROLE OF HR AND HOW IT MUST BE A STRATEGIC PARTNER IN HELPING A COMPANY FACE SPECIFIC CHALLENGES (THAT YOU CHOOSE).